EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 18 Jul 1949
Jack (Humphrey) and Phil (Fitzpatrick) have given my mundane Una Voce thread an inspiring new direction, and I am following their lead. I have tidied up a message delivered at Fred Kaad’s 90th Birthday Celebration in September 2010.

Vin Smith and I, among many others, were invited to attend. Assistant District Commissioner E V Smith was one of the passengers in the rear of the Dornier that tragically crashed. He flew down from Brisbane for the party. I was laid up, unable to attend, but I managed to send a message to Fred which they read out at the celebratory event. The message is almost eight years old but in case it of interest, here it is:

Freddy,

At the end of 1953, you had just completed two years at ASOPA, and early in 1954, you returned to the Territory.

You became Assistant District Officer, in charge of the Goroka Sub-district. Ian Down’s was the District Commissioner, and Ian had many passions. One of them was his rugby league football team.

I do not know whether you volunteered to play. You would have been conscripted you if you had not done so.

You had been renowned in athletics for your speed as a hurdler. Faster than a speeding bullet, you should have played on the wing, but with Ian as five-eight, you would never have seen the ball. You became Goroka’s famed inside centre.

Ray Harris’s DeHavilland Dragon used to pick me up from Kainantu, and the Kaads always gave me a bed. After one game, you and June took me to a barbecue at Bobby and Jeannie Gibbes. They lived out of town, on the top of a hill. June was quite pregnant, but you still scorched up the 4-wheel drive access track in that Holden sedan.

Bobby’s greeting was: “Freddie, you are going to have another daughter. The way you drive would shake the nuts off anything!” And Bobby was right again, and again!

I departed the Highlands before you shot to stardom in the movie Walk into Paradise, but in 1956 you were posted to Maprik and dashed around like a hornet in a short-wheelbase Land Rover.

You pioneered the construction of huts with Adobe (rammed earth) walls, and you started aquaculture. You built above-the-ground fishponds bigger than tennis courts.

And then the rains came. The Adobe walls survived, but not the banks of the fishponds. Your fish washed downstream into the mighty Sepik. Within a few short months, those fingerlings grew to an enormous size.

There were so many that the river of water became a river of fish. Everybody and everything gorged on Freddie’s fish.

The crocodiles grew bigger. The waterfowl could barely fly. The lithesome maidens became buxom and rotund as they ate and they ate. They would not work, and they would not cook. They would not dance, and they would not prance. The population declined.

You changed an ecosystem, and you changed a culture. The Sepik River flowed almost solid, brimful of Tilapia.

In 1957, you became District Officer, Wewak, and then took over as acting District Commissioner, Sepik. You loaned me the DC’s beautiful big black limousine to romance a newly arrived nursing sister. Things were going swimmingly until the young lady failed June’s acid test.

Romance went out the door, and I was banished back to the bush. You moved on, to University, and to greater heights.

Frederick Peter Christian Kaad OBE, there are very few people who can claim a mentor and a friend who has been a never-failing inspiration for more than 56 years, but I can. You have been mine.

My very best wishes for your 90th birthday. Have a marvellous day. I wish you many more.