EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:49 am 
Editor (& ex-kiap)

Yesterday (Mon 9/7/12) I was made aware of a AFP circular in regards to the POSM and "Kiaps" which I published while at the same time, referring back to the AFP as to whether such a posting met with their approval. I was asked to substitute the following for the original posting which of course I'm only too happy to comply with.

Peter.
Tue 10/7/12
Quote:
POLICE OVERSEAS SERVICE MEDAL TO RECOGNISE ‘CAPACITY BUILDING’ MISSIONS

Recent amendments to the Police Overseas Service Medal (POSM) regulations allow for the recognition of Australian patrol officers who served with the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary from 1949-1973. The ‘Kiaps’ POSM will be processed by the Australian Federal Police.

The email address for further enquiries is posm-kiaps@afp.gov.au
Attachment:
POSM.jpg
POSM.jpg [ 6.52 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:50 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 30 Jun 1969
If the AFP have now opened up the process, then let's follow their instructions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 28 Mar 1949
I contacted the Awards Branch of the AFP on 9 July. The very pleasant female to whom I spoke said that it would be six/eight weeks before processing for Kiaps would commence. In this regard she also said that she was to meet with Chris Viner-Smith (the guru who promoted the award for Kiaps) to sort out procedures for making application.

The point was also made that about one thousand AFP members who had served in the International Deployment Group (IDG) also had to be processed for the award.

I am aware that some ex Kiaps are against the award and will not apply or reject any offer if that is the way the procedure evolves. The reasoning is that our police appointments were overshadowed by all our other Kiap duties and therefore should not be highlighted as a special recognition of our service in PNG.

Frankly I see this as an elitist position in that they are trying to ignore the fact that they did hold commissioned rank in the RPNGC. and without it would not have been able to carry out their responsibilties as Kiaps. At grass roots administration in newly settled areas the establishment of law and order was a basic Kiap function backed if necessary by the use of police force.

My own opinion for what it is worth is that we had to have police rank to provide legal command over our native police. If any ex Kiap believes that he could have wandered about the wilds of PNG without the legal backing of police rank and his detachment of native police he is living in fantasy world.

The other point is that other than personal satisfaction for having been a Kiap there has never been any positive recognition of the work we did in PNG other than the occasional wordy platitude from politicians or others who have absolutely no idea of what we did.

There will be no monuments or statues erected in our honour so like it or not the Police Overseas Service Medal (POSM) is the only way that we will remembered for our service in PNG.

So far as medals are concerned this geriatric ex Kiap has six medals resulting from service with 6 Aust. Infantry Div'n during the Aitape-Wewak campaign 1944-45 so another one is no great deal. Nonetheless I will accept the POSM if.when offered if only to pass on to my children as a small token of my PNG service.

Des Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:25 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 29 Jun 1971
This just came through after I sent an email to the posm-kiaps@afp.gov.au address.

Good Morning John ,

Thank you for your enquiry.
As a result of the recent announcement by the Minster for Home Affairs the Hon Jason Clare MP acknowledging the service of the KIAPS with the award of the Police Overseas Service Medal (POSM), we have received a large volume of enquiries.
We are currently developing the process that persons wishing to apply for the award will be required to complete upon submitting their application for the award.
As information is available in regards to this process, we will update you accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 08 Nov 1965
Were the real unsung heroes of the kiap era were the Sgts and Sgt/Majors of the RPNGC who held everything together? Most had served with the PIB during WW2. A fine group of men.
It often felt to me like the situation of the young, aristocratic British officer of WW1 attempting to lead the tough working class Tommies.

Last edited by John Edgar on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am 
Ex-Kiap

While some ex native police may have served in the NGIB/PIB the vast majority served in ANGAU initially under the command of pre-war Kiaps who had been commissioned in the AIF. Their duties varied from controlling labour lines supporting the troops to engaging in combat behind enemy lines, again under the command of pre-war Kiaps like Alan Gow, Bob Cole and David Fenbury et al.

Des Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jul 1952
For info, the following appeared at page 57 in the December 2012 Una Voce -
Update on Police Overseas Service Medal (POSM)
"Terry Browne, Senior Team Leader in the AFP Recognition and Awards team, was recently approached by a member as to the current status of the POSM.
He said...
‘I can inform you the precise criteria for the medal are under consideration by the Minister for Home Affairs prior to a recommendation being forwarded to the Governor-General. Concurrently an application form is being developed by the Australian Federal Police and it is advisable that you register your contact details either by letter or email with the AFP Recognition and Awards team so that an application form can be sent as soon as it is available.’
The mailing address is Australian Federal Police, Recognition and Awards, GPO Box 401, Canberra ACT 2601."
The email address is POSM-capacity@afp.gov.au.

Ross Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Mar 1965
Sent them an e-mail for the application form. Bet they'll be surprised to get an application from Latvia :D

Ves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 09 Nov 1964
Hello Ves,
Since you are so far away I can help you to obtain a copy of the POSM to proudly wear on parade in Riga. I purchased a copy at Christies in Castlereagh St, Sydney for about $20 when visiting there last month. I wear copies of my medals on Anzac Day in case of loss and keep the originals in the safe. One often hears of lapuns losing their medals as well as the plot!
Cheers, Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm 
Ex-Kiap

One hopes that if/when the POSM's get issued to ex Kiaps they will have the name enscribed around the edge as is the case with my war service medals. The trouble with replicas is they don't show the name of those entitled to wear them and quite a number of persons purchase these replicas and claim they were awarded for war or other service.

A couple of brothers recently faced court in Qld for falsely claiming war service and bravery decorations and others have been convicted for similar offences.

Des Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
For those that want to read about the many who claim false honours as Des points out, the following site is dedicated to these frauds:

http://www.anzmi.net/tinsoldiers/tinsoldiers.html

Regards

Rossco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:27 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 29 Jun 1971
I won’t be holding my breath for an inscribed medal as there seems to have been a change in protocol. My father and his mates were awarded the Suez Campaign medal some 50+ years after the event. Now that’s a long time to get recognised. His medal wasn’t inscribed. Mind you there were a lot of ex Para’s, Marines and Navy to be awarded.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
John, as a general rule the Brits never inscribed the medals issued to servicemen and women. The Australians did. It is quite common to see genuine medals issued to Brits for sale on eBay and at auctions without any inscriptions. As there is a roaring trade in counterfeit medals, the Australian fakes are generally easy to pick up because the engraving is wrong.

Rossco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1964
Ross/Des/Ves/Peter & others. I have been following with interest comments with regards to the AFP Recognition & Awards Team and the current status of the POSM. I am somewhat confused as to what constitutes service (RPNGC) in relation to this award and who is deemed to be a fit and proper person.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:30 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 17 Jul 1961
Misinformation, and indeed some degree of frustration and speculation, regarding this subject appears to abound! I thought that the email contact address for enquiries by kiaps was posm-kiaps@afp.com.au. I also thought that the lead in time that was given earlier for the application process to commence, 6-8 weeks, was optimistic having served in the Australian Public Service after I returned from Papua New Guinea in 1975 and acquiring a knowledge of how the bureaucracy works. The standard reply from the Australian Federal Police to any enquiry that I make on the subject is "We have received many enquires - please be patient!". One would have thought that the government, who should have been aware of the impact the award could have on the Australian Federal Police resources, would have provided them with additional resouces to cope. Perhaps Chris Viner-Smith can supply us with the current status of the project given that it was apparently suggested by the Australian Federal Police that he would be consulted.